Myopia is a disease frequently occurs in people under the age 40 and is also known as nearsightedness. In this disorder you are unable to see farther objects or look like a blurred vision whereas near objects can be seen clearly.
It mostly occurs due to the bending of light incorrectly and image is focus in front of the retina instead of on the retina and this occur due to shape of the eye.
In most of the cases it is responsible for many problems in childhood and adolescence due to rapid development of nearsightedness. It can be genetic and run in families.
Overnight corneal reshaping:
Overnight Corneal Reshaping is the best alternative in order to avoid refractive surgery. It is very useful for the myopic patients. Contour of the cornea eye can be reshaped to lessen the chances of nearsightedness by the use of specially designed GP contact lenses. The procedure is quite new and more research.
It facilitates the people to see without using glasses, contact lenses or refractive surgery. The changes made by OCR are truly reversible.
Ortho-k lenses can reduce existing myopia when worn overnight.
Other names of overnight corneal reshaping:
Overnight corneal reshaping has many names like its nickname is "ortho-k" and sometimes called corneal reshaping (CR), corneal refractive therapy or vision shaping.
Comfortability of Overnight corneal reshaping:
There are some comfort issues with many people when attempting to wear gas permeable contact lenses during the day. But OCR, GP lenses are worn during sleep, comfort and lens awareness are generally not a problem.
Working of OCR:
Overnight Corneal Reshaping generally uses rigid gas permeable contact lenses to flatten the cornea when you sleep. Upon waking the lenses can be removed to enjoy the substantial vision without the need of contact lenses or glasses.
As the oxygen-permeable material is used for Ortho-k contact lenses, there is no need to worry about your eyes drying up overnight. In the morning, you may remove the lenses and experience improved vision even without using your prescription eyewear. For the best results, we may recommend using them nightly.
Ideal candidate for OCR:
- Youngsters with age between 8 to 12 having progressive myopia,
- Adolescents and adults under age 40.
- Ortho-k is approved for low to mild nearsightedness.
- Very active in sports or athletics.
- Used to work in dirty, dusty environments
- People having the problem of dry eyes.
Cost of OCR:
The cost may range from $1500 to $2500 based on the number of lenses used and length of the treatment.
Benefits of overnight corneal reshaping lenses
- The main benefit of OCR is lens-free daytime vision, orthokeratology has also the ability to slow down the progression of myopia. A number of published clinical studies have found that the design of orthokeratology retards the growth of the eye's axial length (63% less) which determines the degree of myopia.
- No need of contact lenses and glasses during working hours.
- Reduction of nearsightedness by 51% by overnight corneal reshaping.